Lasik stands for Laser in-Situ Keratomileusis. It is a surgical procedure that uses a laser underneath a corneal flap to reshape the cornea. It is an effective procedure to treat patients suffering from near sightedness, short sightedness, far sightedness, and astigmatism.
Talking to a consultant will not only help you make a right choice of refractive surgery but it will also enable you to get clear understanding of each process. As a result, it will lead to a more careful evaluation of your eyes.
Increasingly becoming a routine surgery, Lasik eye surgery is recommended for patients ageing between 18 years to 50 years and more.
How does Lasik work?
During Lasik surgery, a specially trained surgeon applies local anaesthesia using eye drops and creates a precise, thin hinged corneal flap by using a femtosecond laser. This flap is lifted up and the underlying tissue is sculpted with an excimer laser. The flap is then repositioned onto the cornea without sutures.
Advantages of LASIK eye surgery
Femtosecond LASIK surgery has a number of benefits, which include:
- It is a highly successful treatment for vision correction in most cases.
- Use of the femtosecond laser adds precision and safety to the procedure.
- Lasik surgery causes very little pain
- Lasik is an easy and quick fix for vision and it is supposed to show results within a day or two
- Easy and effective, Lasik does not require patients to wear bandages or stitches
- For advanced or more adjustments, laser eye surgery can also be used to further correct vision
- Most importantly, most people do not require eyewear after undergoing Lasik surgery
Disadvantages of LASIK eye surgery
Though Lasik eye surgery in Abu Dhabi is performed with precision and latest technology, here are some disadvantages:
- After Lasik eye surgery has been performed, the changes made to cornea cannot be reversed
- To further correct vision, additional Lasik surgeries may be required
- As Lasik is a complex treatment, problems may occur when surgeon cuts the flap leading to permanently affected vision
- Loss of “best” vision may occur at one year after you have undergone Lasik surgery. However, you can achieve best vision by wearing contacts or eyeglasses
Are there any potential side effects of Lasik Surgery?
Soon after undergoing Lasik in Abu Dhabi, some patients may experience some discomfort for 24 to 48 hours. Moreover, potential side effects are as follows:
- Patients may experience glare
- Patients may see halos and images
- Patients may face some difficulty driving at night
- Patients may experience fluctuating vision
- Patients may have dry eyes
Is LASIK surgery right for you?
You are recommended to undergo Lasik, if you:
- See nearby objects clearly
- See far objects clearly
- Have blurred vision
How should I prepare for Lasik surgery?
It is highly recommended that you visit a consultant and discuss what you should be expecting during and after Lasik eye surgery. As required for eye examination, you may have your eyes tested for corneal thickness, refraction and pupil dilation.